Thursday, March 5, 2009

A cake "success" (as opposed to a cakewreck)

I made a simple 9x13 cake for our "Wild Wild West" themed Blue and Gold Cub Scout Banquet a few weeks ago.

Sure, I do frosting stars (old-style next to the age of fondant), but that's what I grew up learning from my mom, who is a champ at "star" cakes--she even makes her own cake pans!


I just had to post this after The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly from "professionals."

Though it's not perfect (I'll spare you the details if you don't notice the imperfections), it turned out nicely.

4 comments:

Stacy said...

Very cute! You're so talented.
You would have been so impressed with this pirate cake that my friend's husband made for their son's birthday. It was picture perfect, a whole pirate with the face and clothes and everything. I wish I had my camera. I couldn't believe her husband made it. It looked completely professional.

Julia said...

Wow, impressive Kim! I don't think that I would have even attempted something like that. I surely would have taken the design and had it made at a bakery. Kudos!

Katie said...

This looks professional to me. Good job! I'm very impressed.

Kristy Lynne said...

I don't know how I missed this. Good job. I want to eat it though. Hm, I have a brownie mix...

Love you.